Friday, January 16, 2009

Philosophy Trivialized

Two years ago I began to pursue a master's degree in philosophy. I have always loved philosophy and felt that I would like to teach it. I have always considered philosophy by its classical definition, the study of wisdom, but I am becoming increasingly disenchanted with what is apparently the need of academic philosophers, to analyze trivial ideas, and to formalize these ideas in a quasi-logico-mathematical jargon. I accept that scientific fields necessitate the use of specialized language forms, but firmly believe philosophy is not, and should not be a science. Further, I would suggest that the purpose of philosophy should not be to demonstrate the philosopher's fine and subtle mind. Rather philosophy should, as simply as possible, point the way to the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment